healeys

Re: Weber DGVs vs HD8s

To: WAS <Waschu2@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Weber DGVs vs HD8s
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:36:55 -0600
Hi Wayne,

Advancing the cam 8 degrees will usually actually boost low & mid rpm
power. The intake valve closing timing is actually the single most
important of the valve timing events. Since no compression of the
mixture can begin until the intake valve is closed, earlier closing
gives more compression & power.

Early closing of the intake works somewhat against you at the higher rpm
where intake inertia will actually overcome the rising piston & continue
cylinder filling for a bit. Obviously, sufficient inertia is not present
at lower rpm & the rising piston simply pushes some of the mixture back
out of the cylinder before the intake valve closes. Earlier intake
closing helps prevent this situation. The effect of advanced timing has
much less effect on the other valve timing events.

Competition engine cam timing is often adjusted to optomize the power
band for the track length & speeds.

I think you may be pleasently surprised about how much you will gain
with properly set up HD8's & the present cam timing. Unless of course,
you are after maximum high rpm power for top speed, which I doubt.

Regards,
Dave Russell