healeys

Door lock screws

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door lock screws
From: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:02:15 +0200
Friends,
I cam across the following problem which I can't solve, having been
brought up with the metric system:  I'm missing 5 out of 6 screws used
to fix my door lock in the doors of my BJ8. According to the manual they
should be RMZ 0308, so 3/16" x 1/2".
On my last visit to the USA I bought myself a tap and die set with UNC
and UNF threads, hoping that would cover all the difficult fasteners in
my car. First of all the small dia dies and taps carry a non-familiar
indication: I guessed the correct size of the screws would be 10 x 32
but the screw (the only one left!) will not go into the 10 x 32 die and
the 10 x 32 tap will not go into the nuts of the doorlock.  Should I use
what we here call the Belgian method: with plenty force and some
vaseline, or should I start a hunt for the correct tap and die? My
original idea was to get hold of  M5 (metric 5 mm) countersunk screws
and twist them through the die, hence my request.
TIA
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432