healeys

Fuel pumps

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pumps
From: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:35:49 -0400
Listers,

I have followed this thread and never thought much about my fuel pump.  I
never had a problem.  Until this weekend.

Turned the key and did not get the usual clicking sounds.  Tried again and
still nothing.  I removed the rear seat and tried again nothing.  I hit the
pump a few times with a rubber hammer and there it was, the clicking as it is
supposed to be.

I started the car and 10 minutes later no fuel pump clicking.  Rubber hammer
again and things were good to go and then it stopped again, etc.

I now have the "standard" fuel pump problems of everyone else.

I have seen comments about converting my existing pump transistor, but does
this solve anything?

Should I install a totally new pump from NAPA?  Or, an upgraded pump that
looks original?  Should I "convert" the pump to breakerless?

Should I convert my existing pump to transistor or breakerless and add a NAPA
pump?  Do I install the NAPA pump before, in place of or after the existing
pump?

Anything else I should consider doing instead of or in addition to the above?

What is the collective wisdom for realiability?

Fred
63BL7