healeys

Re: HS4 Fast idle

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: HS4 Fast idle
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:15:08 -0700
David:

I see that you're still fighting with it.

I usually set the fast idle as follows:  get the choke cable set so that the
cable comes out 1/2" or so before the jets start to lift, making sure that
all three start to lift simultaneously at that point.

Then, when you're just at that point, adjust the fast idle screws to give
approx 1200 RPM when the engine is warm, so that you have fast idle without
enrichening, for those times when it's nice to have it - like stuck at idle
on a hot day and the carbs start to load up, or you're at a significantly
higher altitude that at home.  The idea is to be able to deal in a bit of
fast idle without enrichening the mixtures when you least want to.

The adjustment should be made as uniformly as possible across all 3 carbs to
maintain synchronization, and ensuring that with the choke knob all the way
in, that the fast idle screws are just clear of the little cams that they
activate, so that they are totally out of play when the engine is warm with
the choke knob completely in.

Unless something was way, way out of wack with the choke system, I doubt
that that is what is causing the breakdown problem.  I've been thinking
about that - really haven't got any suggestions at this point.  Condensers
can to funny things - against the very remote possibilty that your new
condenser is 'hinkey', maybe try another one - say the one that you
removed - see what happens.

One other thing comes to mind that you might look into - make sure that the
distributor vaccum advance line is doing it's job.  I do this with a little
hand vaccum pump at the manifold end of the line so that I'm checking both
pipe and diaphragm for movement (and holding) of the distributor advance
plate.  I once encountered a 100-6 that didn't run right, whose owner had
fought with it literally for years.  When we checked, the vaccum pipe turned
out to be completely blocked with solder from someone previously attatching
a new end.  Clearing it solved a lot of problems on that car!

Let us know.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb