healeys

Re: Wire Wheel Rear Hub Question

To: tom felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Rear Hub Question
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:48:59 -0700
Tom:

>From your description, ("very sharp and leaning") you are very close to
'spun hubs' - a dangerous situation where the splines suddenly let go -
strip right off the hub.  I would go so far as to suggest not driving the
car until the problem is resolved.

There is very likely damage to the wheel hubs as well, just not as much, and
likely to all 4 wheels if you rotated wheel / tire assemblies at any point.
A pro should examine the front hubs for you as well.

I know this is not what you want to hear ($$$$$$!), but you should consider
replacing wheels as well as splined hubs at this point.  If you use worn
wheels on new splined hubs, you will greatly accelerate the rate of wear on
the new hubs.

I would have a look at the Hendrix Wire Wheel and British Wire Wheel
websites, and maybe have a talk to Allan Hendrix - they are Healey guys
there, and will give you reliable advice.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8