healeys

RE: AH4000

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: AH4000
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:04:44 +1000
 G'day Cobbers

As one of the few people on the list who has driven a 4000 and has seen
all 3 I feel that I can give you a few comments on how it went.

But first of all a little history lesson.

As far as we know there were a total of 6 chassis built for the
Austin-Healey 4000 and from this 3 complete cars were constructed. For
the sake of the discussion let's call then the green car, the white car
and the red car. None were identical and were fitted with different
transmissions, interiors etc etc. For years the 3 cars resided in the UK
and as a result of an accident the red car was written off only to be
rebuilt with one of the spare chassis.

Eventually the red car found its way to Australia where it still resides
undergoing a restoration. The white car has recently been sold to the US
and as good mate Bill Emerson has said it's now part of The Healey
Museum TM. The green car is still in the UK.

The engine was originally designed before WW2 for military use and the
4-cylinder version was used in the Austin Champ. There was a few
problems with the Rolls-Royce (FB60) 4-litre engine for sports car use
as it was designed more for a heavy sedan in that it was a L head design
(side valve exhaust - overhead inlet). While power was down it did have
bags of torque. However it was of all alloy construction and was
therefore much lighter than the C-Series and far quieter due to its
hydraulic tappets.

The interesting aspect was that Rolls-Royce engineers were experimenting
with a double overhead camshaft cylinder head for the engine and
involved with them was DMH. (happy birthday for yesterday Don.) I
haven't got the power figures with me but a DOHC RR engine pumped out
more power than the Jaguar XK power unit.

So we had the potential for a new Austin-Healey with an engine from the
Austin parts bin that put the jitters into William Lyons over at Jaguar
and did so to the extent that the 4000 did not go past the prototype
stage.

What did I think of the red 4000? An absolute delight to drive and
somewhat different to a 3000. First of all it was quiet both from the
engine and exhaust. It was quick but did not have the urgency of a 3000
- more like power coming on right throughout the rev range. It was more
of a touring (personal) car than a sports car.

The extra 6 inches were not immediately noticeable until I tried to
reach the passenger door (RHD car) and there was one time when I was
driving and noticed a drink can on the road. I let the car drift a
little to the right to avoid it as I would with a normal width
Austin-Healey and ran straight over the can.

I understand there have been a replica or two built in the UK.

Overall a fascinating piece of Healey History.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

1947 Healey Duncan Saloon