Re: Which Palms

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Subject: Re: Which Palms
From: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2004 19:07:02 -0000
This question gets asked every few months, and the answer is always different
since the technology is changing so amazingly quickly! :)

The comment that a lot of people seem to have is that since even a brand new
Palm Zire can be had so cheap ($79 even at Target?), and old Palm IIIs are
almost free on eBay... it's worth doing that just to keep your Geez seperate
from your work life.  Deals on refurbs or overstocked things come and go too
(check the hotdeals forums on the net).  That way you can leave the cheap Palm
mounted in your glovebox or permanently wrapped in your towel bomb without
paying for a color screen or any other cool features you'd want elsewhere.  The
older/cheaper palms also have the side benefit of being able to take regular
AAA batteries rather than having to be charged in a cradle... a surprisingly
important feature out in the field!

Once you decide on that route, it's then really either a much less or much more
complicated decision to see what you can live with for your work life. :)

I've been a Palm fan (and user) since the PalmPilot 5000 but there are also
some intriguing alternatives from the PocketPC (Compaq iPaq, Dell Axiom) side
of the world as well as my current favorite choice, a SymbianOS based smart
phone (Nokia 3650).  IR and Bluetooth support making syncing your contacts and
appointments fairly easy... plus it's a great world phone (email me to unlock
it for free).

I recently beta-tested a Palm Tungsten W which is the latest GSM cellphone Palm
with a built-in keyboard.  I liked the PalmOS and keyboard aspects, and the
phone was cool, but the GPRS Internet connectivity just sucked (AT&T may have
had a part in it) and was expensive.  Personally for me (starting a WiFi
business), the Tungsten C with a built-in 802.11b wireless card for ~$499 with
a $100 rebate will be my weapon of choice soon.  Also, don't underestimate how
nice a backlit color screen is compared to a cheap B&W LCD!

  --Darren

p.s. Yes, I know it's supposed to be PalmOne now... or whatever... who cares...
I still call them Pilots :)

p.p.s. I'm assuming Geez will run/work on a 2mb Zire.  If not, add a few bucks
the next higher models.

Rush <jdrush@enter.net> wrote ..