Re: XP?

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, evolution-discussions@egroups.com,
Subject: Re: XP?
From: "Byron Short" <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 08:33:08 -0700
No problem running GEEZ on XP, but you do need to be running
the driver for the dongle. Go to our download page and
pickup the driver, follow the instructions on the page for
installation.  It's pretty simple.  (Note that the old
driver, prior to about March 02, did NOT support XP.  The
driver on the website is a new driver.)

I'd like to address the concerns about the dongle, and this
is as good a time as any.  Let me just put this little
thought starter out there...Microsoft (and most other "real"
software companies) charge for every copy of their software
that's installed.  If you are found using a copy of their
software that you didn'y pay for you risk fines and even
imprisonment.  I have no intentions of following in the
steps of these "real" software companies.  The dongle makes
it possible for me to encourage you to install the software
on several computers at once, for only a single purchase of
the software.  It also allows me to have a tiered product
line, which we haven't done yet but intend to in the future
with G-Dyno.

I hate the dongle.  But the it generates a positive means of
knowing that a single copy is a single copy.  Just because
it's possible and even relatively convenient to install
software on multiple machines does not mean that it should
be free.  Neither does it mean that the work that went into
it is less than the work that went into the hardware.  In
fact, nothing could be further from the truth.  So the
dongle, for all of it's inconveniences, allows us to market
in a much friendlier way.

Ask yourself this...would you be willing to send me a check
for $295 for each additional copy of the sofware you have
installed right now beyond one copy?  I can tell you
this...I wouldn't be willing to enforce it.  And that's
enough of a rub for me.  I can't give the software away,
(unless I go for an *entirely* different business model).
But I'm not willing to play policeman and discourage
autocrossers from using the software at the same time, which
is what this would accomplish.  So I consider the dongle to
be the friendliest approach possible.

Now, ask me about why I don't yet have a USB dongle as an
option...that's an area that I've fallen behind in, and an
area which would help alleviate some of the dongle angst
which we all feel from time to time.

So in summary, THANKS for your understanding about the
dongle.  It's not a perfect solution, but in my estimation
is the best one available in that it's a positive count and
control over the number of packages sold, while allowing
autocrossers to be autocrossers and loan their installation
disks to others, which in turn generates more sales.  It's a
pain in the butt at times, but in the long run, it's the
best system to accomplish our goals without having to play
policeman about unauthorized copies.

With dongles, I *encourage* sharing the software.  It's a
different mindset, and I'm happy with it, despite the bumps
in the road that it generates.

--Byron Short
  Extreme GEEZ! Inc.
  888-909-0818