GEEZ comments

To: <geez@autox.team.net>
Subject: GEEZ comments
From: "Pierre Villeneuve" <pierre@psacecomputer.com.spacecomputer.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:13:41 -0800
Wow, all the GEEZers are coming out of the woodwork this week!

Chris Gant wrote:
"Another invaluable tool, I think, would be to have a
simple time difference chart that would graph the real-time, time
difference between two laps, showing exactly where on the track time was
made (or lost) and how much."

This sort of analysis is not really possible with purely accelerometer-based
data.  The maps that we see have no absolute reference to the real world.
Even assuming minimal error buildup with all the signal integration,
everything at best is relative to your initial starting position and
direction.  Even the smallest change in either of these from one run to the
next will make it very difficult to compare performance values between runs
at any given course location.

While we're talking about things we'de like to see, does any one use GEEZ
for multi-lap track events?  I'll often go for a track event weekend where
we get half a dozen 20-minute lapping sessions where I'll record up to 15
laps per session.  That a lot of GEEZ data to sort through!  In about an
hour I can chop the data into multiple laps and adjust the end speeds so
that the maps are recognizable.  For me, the hard part about chopping up the
laps is that in the GEEZ data you can't see the big white line painted
across the track at the start-finish line.  So you have to make some guesses
as to where one lap ends and the next begins.  And so because of that guess
work, it's hard to trust the GEEZ lap times.

OK, so then I try to compare laps using the metrics that GEEZ generates
(usage, etc.).  But to get that I have to open up the little metrics window
and write down the usage numbers on a chart I make by hand to keep track of
all numbers from lap to lap.  Here is my one and only GEEZ wish: it would be
great if I could click a button and up would pop a window with a table
summary of all performance metrics for all laps of a given session.  That
would save me a tremendous amount of time.

Pierre

///
///  geez@autox.team.net mailing list
///