Re: Handspring Visor compatibility?

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Handspring Visor compatibility?
From: "Gordon Acorn" <gacorn@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:42:18 -0400
Ok, I know it's bad style to reply to ones own post, but this is
interesting...

So, I went out yesterday and picked up a Visor.  Nice little unit,
basically the same as a Palm IIIxe, but more expandable.  It only came with
the USB cradle, so I had to purchase a serial cradle separately.  I got
everything installed easily on my PC and had the two talking in no time.

I downloaded the G-apps no problem, and had no problems with the Options
application.  To try out the Cube, I disconnected the serial cradle from
the computer and connected it to the power module.  I also put in a brand
new Duracell in the module (and had it powered on).  However, when I ran
the Calibration application, I got "port error", and then "No Device".  It
didn't do anything after that, just stayed at no device (even tried
power-cycling the module).

Just to be sure, I connected the whole thing back up to my PC, and this
time used the power module to power the Cube (instead of the serial port).
Found the device no problem, and went through the calibration.  Everything
was working ok, so it isn't a Cube/power module problem.

My guess is it's something to do with the Visor and it using a USB
connection.  The serial cradle must do something to convert the signal that
the Cube doesn't like.  The other thing is that the Visor uses Palm OS 3.1
(or a slightly modified version of it), but I think all the newer Palms are
using 3.3.  Shouldn't be an issue, but you never know.

I guess it's back to waiting for a Palm...

Cheers,

-Gord