Data Acquisition and Video Recordings

To: scca@solo.org
Subject: Data Acquisition and Video Recordings
From: "Dr. Bob Woods" <woods@mae.uta.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 21:16:12 -0500
Solo Events Board Members,

I have read your questions about data acquistion and video recordings in
Sports Car.

I totally disagree with any ban on these instruments in any form of Solo
racing.  Further, I can't even understand the logic of your concerns with
competitors using them: is it cost or a competitive disadvantage?  Cost
cannot be a real issue in relation to the cost of the car and
transportation.  If it is a competitive disadvantage that it might cause
another competitor, then I think that he doesn't really understand the
point of competition: to do the best that you can do, having benchmarks for
comparison.

To me, the point of Solo racing is to learn to get the absolute most out of
your car in three attempts and to learn to be the best driver that you can
be.  Data and video recordings can help in this process over a period of
time.  They generally are not as usefull during the competition, but they
give you something to study and try to reprogram how you drive.  I have to
admit that twice now, I have used the video playback after an event to
verify that I hit a cone that I did not get credit for!

I compete in Amod in a Formula SAE car.  I am the faculty advisor for the
University of Texas at Arlington Formula SAE team.  We have used the
G-Analyst (and now the G-Cube) plus in-car video for every competitive run
over the last 7 or more years.  We keep records for analysis, evaluation,
and discussion.  These videos and data records help us in training drivers.
 An example is on our website <FSAE.uta.edu> that you can download and play
on your computer -- you will really enjoy it.

My experience is that the recordings (video and data) can be a huge benifit
over a longer period of time.  You can see driving styles, spot areas for
improvement, see your errors, and learn how to program yourself to improve;
however, it can't really do more than reprogram you on how to drive.

We generally don't study the recordings at the track; often it is better to
stay focused.  Sometimes we do use the G-Analyst to identify corners in
which you could go faster; but you can't really know if you could go faster
(due to road camber, gravel, or poor grip) unless a driver in your own car
was able to do so; then you might have the confidence to try it.  However,
I often find myself saying to my co-driver "you can go faster here that you
thought you could", and then immediatley realize that I don't really know
how he perceives the course and how fast he thinks he can go; so it is
almost a wasted statement.

I think that this leads me to the conclusion that anything that one driver
can do to help another is limited, because only the driver of the car at
that instant can control the car.  Data recordings or co-driver opinions
can only boost your confidence, it can't really make you do it.  If you are
a good enough driver to improve your result based on co-driver's opinions
or from recordings, then you could have done by yourself the first time.

Data and recordings do give you a tool to improve as a driver and to fully
understand what it takes to go fast.  Over a period of time, you can
improve your driving skills by understanding what you want the car to do
and how to make it happen.  I recommend it to everyone that wants to take
this sport seriously.

Dr. Bob Woods
Amod FSAE 88
Faculty Advisor UTA