Comments on GEEZ..

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Comments on GEEZ..
From: Todd Green <tag@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:01:15 -0600
There was a request for comments/suggestions on GEEZ a few weeks back.
Here are the notes that I jotted to myself after having used GEEZ for
the first time.  Some of them may be due to my lack of familiarity with
the product, and they are terse by nature, however don't get me wrong,
I'm tickled pink with Byron's product and his support for it!!  Doesn't
mean that GEEZ cannot be made even better

Todd

Bugs to fix:

    Open dialog doesn't remember current directory, nor "List files of type"
    settings.

    Clicking on the "Initialize Stopwatch" button messes up the click,
    shift-click mechanism on the map.  (i.e. if you shift click after
    clicking on the stopwatch it doesn't create a segment.)

    When you open a new map, if a previous map was minified, it will expand.
    In general windows tend to change their state when they should not.

    The parent window doesn't size properly to contain the child window
    when you open a run.

    Trying to do a map cut results in "floating point div by zero" error.
    However this is intermittent.  (The most fun bugs to track down :(

    Doesn't remember the status of the "gauges on top" button between
    invocations.

    Moving your runs into sub dirs and then trying to annotate them with the
    diary gives an error that the database isn't in that dir if you launched
    GEEZ by double clicking on the run file.

Documentation gotchas:

    Order of the Calibrate options should be the same as the order that they
    are presented in the help dialog.  The calibrate dialog has the wording
    "flat", the help is "top".  They should be the same.   There is no
    mention of whether or not it matters which direction the arrow points.

    "HotSynch" is misspelled in the help files.

It'd be nice if these features could be added:

    Can't drag the mouse along the map.  You have to "click" where you want
    the cursor to be.  Also shift-draging should create a segment.

    It'd be nice to have statistics for a segment that you select as well as
    the instantaneous and summary.  (Minimally make "summary" mean either
    the whole map, or the current segment, if there is a segment selected,
    though I think this may be confusing for newbies.)

    Map colors.  It'd be nice to have the full palette available and you
    would do linear interpolation between criteria.  (Especially in HSV
    color space for "temperature" graphs.)

    It be nice to go one step further than the stop watch and have the
    "segment" guage.  You can continually shift click to add "segments and
    get a list of the split times.  Also it'd be nice to have "segments"
    highlited on the strip charts as well as the map.  (A translucent
    rectangle over the segment section seems to be the standard way of doing
    this.)

    Along these lines, it'd be cool if you could have the stats dialog box
    optionally higlight peaks on the charts and maps.

    It'd be nice if the arrow keys stepped through the map/charts
    (right/down arrow advances, left/up arrow backs up)

    Can you sync with the Palm via IR?  It'd be great to be able to
    swap data with people at events via the IR port.

    The charts and map are not double buffered.  (Causes flickering, of
    course this is pretty low on my wish list ;)

    Calibration interface is different between the palm and desktop
    versions.  You go to calibrate in the palm and it shows you the string,
    however it does not do this on the PC.

    When going to a Win32 app, it'd be great if we didn't have the MDI,
    it is really an outdated interface IMHO (I wish Microsoft had never
    invented it.)

    Having a time multiplier option (so that you can slow down or speed up
    playback) would be nice.

    No "troubleshooting" section in the online help for common problems.

    No "undo" or "Revert to saved" options.  Also it isn't terribly clear
    until you use GEEZ for awhile what is automatically saved for you
    versus what changes you need to save manually.

    It'd be *great* if we could select multiple runs on the Palm and
    just down load them all at once without having to confirm each run.

    It'd be helpful if the tire database had right and left as well as
    front and back options.  Also slots for before the run and after so
    that we can track the delta in pressure and heat.