fot

[Fot] Cam Bearings - TR-2 to 4A

To: FOT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Cam Bearings - TR-2 to 4A
From: Jack Wheeler via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 15:18:21 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_3385383_596518888.1612883901217

I worked for a large diesel engine manufacturer and Vandervell was a major =
bearing supplier to us.=C2=A0 I was working on a new product introduction t=
eam and one day the Vandervell rep was in visiting our purchasing manager.=
=C2=A0 The purchasing manager introduced me to the rep, and during the cour=
se of our discussion I shared with him the fact that I was racing a TR-4 at=
 the time.=C2=A0 I had recently experienced problems getting Vandervell cam=
 bearings and asked him about the status of bearing supply for the TR engin=
e.=C2=A0 He said he would look into it.
A few weeks later, our purchasing manager walked into my office with a big =
box and said, "this is for you".=C2=A0 He told me that the Vandervell rep h=
ad gone back to the UK and had one of his materials managers gather all of =
the TR-2/4 cam bearings from all of their major warehouses in the UK, and s=
ent them to me.=C2=A0 There were over 100 bearings.=C2=A0 Since they were a=
ll the wide bearings, I had about a third of them cut down to the width of =
the narrow bearing.=C2=A0 To make sure the oil holes lined up with the hole=
s in the block, the machine shop had to cut an equal amount off each side o=
f the bearing to get the appropriate width.

Where is all this going?=C2=A0 Well, I changed the cam bearings (because I =
had them) every time I rebuilt an engine, which was about every 4 races.=C2=
=A0 For whatever reason, I kept a number of the used bearings with 4 race w=
eekends on them (or less).=C2=A0 I have a total of 17 wide bearings, plus o=
ne new wide AE bearing, and 9 narrow bearings, or about 9 sets.=C2=A0 I don=
't know if anyone is interested in running used bearings in your race engin=
es, but if you are, I am offering them to anyone on the list for the price =
of the shipping cost.=C2=A0 The wear in these bearings is visible (see pict=
ures), but barely perceptible when you run your finger over the areas of we=
ar.=C2=A0 About what you would expect after 3 or 4 pace weekends.

What is the benefit of Vandervell cam bearings?=C2=A0 The AE or all the oth=
er bearings that are on the market today (to my knowledge) have a straight =
split in the bearing, which can result in the ends of the bearing becoming =
misaligned.=C2=A0 The Vandervell bearing has a design that looks like a jig=
saw puzzle piece, where the ends of the bearing are clenched together, prev=
enting misalignment.=C2=A0 In the third picture attached I tried to get a g=
ood shot of this feature.
If anyone is interested in one or more sets of these bearings, let me know =
how many you want.=C2=A0 Thanks.
Jack

------=_Part_3385383_596518888.1612883901217

ly:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div dir=
=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">I worked for a large diesel engine manufactu=
rer and Vandervell was a major bearing supplier to us.&nbsp; I was working =
on a new product introduction team and one day the Vandervell rep was in vi=
siting our purchasing manager.&nbsp; The purchasing manager introduced me t=
o the rep, and during the course of our discussion I shared with him the fa=
ct that I was racing a TR-4 at the time.&nbsp; I had recently experienced p=
roblems getting Vandervell cam bearings and asked him about the status of b=
earing supply for the TR engine.&nbsp; He said he would look into it.</div>=
ir=3D"false">A few weeks later, our purchasing manager walked into my offic=
e with a big box and said, "this is for you".&nbsp; He told me that the Van=
dervell rep had gone back to the UK and had one of his materials managers g=
ather all of the TR-2/4 cam bearings from all of their major warehouses in =
the UK, and sent them to me.&nbsp; There were over 100 bearings.&nbsp; Sinc=
e they were all the wide bearings, I had about a third of them cut down to =
the width of the narrow bearing.&nbsp; To make sure the oil holes lined up =
with the holes in the block, the machine shop had to cut an equal amount of=
f each side of the bearing to get the appropriate width.<br></div><div dir=
=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"fa=
lse">Where is all this going?&nbsp; Well, I changed the cam bearings (becau=
se I had them) every time I rebuilt an engine, which was about every 4 race=
s.&nbsp; For whatever reason, I kept a number of the used bearings with 4 r=
ace weekends on them (or less).&nbsp; I have a total of 17 wide bearings, p=
lus one new wide AE bearing, and 9 narrow bearings, or about 9 sets.&nbsp; =
I don't know if anyone is interested in running used bearings in your race =
engines, but if you are, I am offering them to anyone on the list for the p=
rice of the shipping cost.&nbsp; The wear in these bearings is visible (see=
 pictures), but barely perceptible when you run your finger over the areas =
of wear.&nbsp; About what you would expect after 3 or 4 pace weekends.<br><=
-setdir=3D"false">What is the benefit of Vandervell cam bearings?&nbsp; The=
 AE or all the other bearings that are on the market today (to my knowledge=
) have a straight split in the bearing, which can result in the ends of the=
 bearing becoming misaligned.&nbsp; The Vandervell bearing has a design tha=
t looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece, where the ends of the bearing are clenc=
hed together, preventing misalignment.&nbsp; In the third picture attached =
I tried to get a good shot of this feature.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setd=

--===============4924200427555557007==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

--===============4924200427555557007==--