fot

Re: [Fot] Casket Cement of Figure 8 Gaskets

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Casket Cement of Figure 8 Gaskets
From: Larry Young via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 11:06:44 -0600
Authentication-results: cox.net; auth=pass (PLAIN) smtp.auth=cartravel@cox.net a=hjI8d0pJ9VTuZEgxGoXOww==:117 a=hjI8d0pJ9VTuZEgxGoXOww==:17 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=JcvzPq48AAAA:8 a=ybZZDoGAAAAA:8 a=rBNRILl11W1N3Wlo7ekA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=CjxXgO3LAAAA:8 a=ny-k2HKLEIOInlxkK5gA:9 a=psJuB2s4Ve2sr5dT:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 a=583lFiaoEu_1o58ccHmG:22 a=0RhZnL1DYvcuLYC8JZ5M:22

--------------3526CDE07CB20BEFEEBCCB72

Jack,
Do you measure liner height before or after application of Permatex?
This discussion (and numerous others) shows that everyone develops their
own methods. They find something that works and then sticks with it.
Obviously, there are multiple solutions to many of these problems.

With regard to getting the landings clean, when building a new motor I
used to bead blast the entire block. Can't believe I was once stout
enough to heft it into the bead blaster.
  - Larry

On 2/7/2021 8:54 AM, Jack Wheeler via Fot wrote:
> I've read all the comments. All I can share is my experience.  When I
> started racing, a long time TR-3 driver recommended just plain old
> brown Permatex on both sides of the gasket, and on the block and
> liners.  I'm old school, and believe, "if it ain't broke, don't fix
> it".  In over 50 years of building race and street engines I have
> never had a leak in my Figure 8 gaskets.  And, that's my story and I'm
> stickin' to it.
>
> Jack

--------------3526CDE07CB20BEFEEBCCB72

  <head>
  </head>
    Jack,<br>
    Do you measure liner height before or after application of Permatex?
    This discussion (and numerous others) shows that everyone develops
    their own methods. They find something that works and then sticks
    with it. Obviously, there are multiple solutions to many of these
    problems.<br>
    With regard to getting the landings clean, when building a new motor
    I used to bead blast the entire block. Can't believe I was once
    stout enough to heft it into the bead blaster.<br>
     - Larry<br>
      Fot wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1222219174.2746109.1612709677105@mail.yahoo.com">
        Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
          All I can share is my experience.  When I started racing, a
          long time TR-3 driver recommended just plain old brown
          Permatex on both sides of the gasket, and on the block and
          liners.  I'm old school, and believe, "if it ain't broke,
          don't fix it".  In over 50 years of building race and street
          engines I have never had a leak in my Figure 8 gaskets.  And,
          that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>