fot

[Fot] Crown and pinion gear break in

Subject: [Fot] Crown and pinion gear break in
From: fubog1 at aol.com (fubog1)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 07:27:46 -0400
Yeah they're pretty trashed.
Generally the cause of failure on a new gearset is usually incorrect setup, but
there isn't much left to analyze.
If pinion depth, backlash, and preloads were correct, and you had a good tooth
contact pattern, it likely didn't fail due to lack of break-in.
For running in a new set of gears I recommend doing a session, working up to
less than race speed, with on/off throttle, a fluid change, another session or
two, another fluid change and done..

FWIW
Glen