fot

[Fot] Driver Census

Subject: [Fot] Driver Census
From: smyers at mac.com (Stephen Myers)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:20:35 -0500
The number of licensed drivers in ACCUS (FIA), IMSA, SCCA, and NASA would be
easily recorded and even then a large number of those will never enter a race
this year.  SCCA or any other organization would never give you a number of how
many competition drivers they have as they would never want such a pitiful
number to be advertised.

Then add in the number of vintage and endurance drivers who are not required to
have full competition licenses to compete in events.  I would guess only a
small fraction of drivers that held ?licenses? from a vintage group or
endurance groups like ChumpCar actually make it to a race each year.

I was told once that the turn over for drivers is around 7 years in SCCA/NASA.
In seven years peoples lives will change and they usually drop out of racing
because of kids, economy, or health issues.

Cars are so fast today that you could go buy a brand new mustang put hoosiers
on it and put down faster times than anyone in our vintage races and do it
during a track day.  You don?t need to race full competition to get the speed
anymore and with time trial/attack events popping up all over that do not
require licenses more and more people are staying away from the professional
organizations.

-Steve