fot

RE: 225hp

To: "'Michael Porter'" <portermd@zianet.com>
Subject: RE: 225hp
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:44:31 -0700
Actually, as I'm sure you know, that's not the usual reason offered for why
multiple valves work better than single valves. While the theoretical area
for a single valve is larger, in fact you can pack more valve area into the
available space with multiple valves. And the flow is not a function of the
total valve area, but rather the opening of the valve, which imitates at the
perimeter and starts off as almost a linear function, transitioning to an
area function as the valve opens (look at some of the new three dimensional
flow diagrams--there was a very cool discussion of this in an issue of race
car engineering last summer). Extremely complex flow--none of it works like
we visualize it. Initial intake flow at higher RPMs is explosive--almost as
much so as exhaust. Small valves also have very small stems and narrow
guides, which block the flow less even in proportion to the head size.
Finally two valves are individually much lighter than one, so they can be
controlled by their spring much more easily at high RPM