fot

RE: Spitfire with Weber Problem-Round 2

To: "'R. John Lye'" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>,
Subject: RE: Spitfire with Weber Problem-Round 2
From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@seidata.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:52:31 -0500
Kas's suggestion reminds me of a similar experience I had at the Runoffs in
1980.  We had taken the battery out of the car to take it back to the motel
room to charge it up the night before the race.  We brought it out to the
track and installed it prior to our warm up session the morning of the
race.  During the warm up I noticed an engine miss.  After the warmup, I
checked everything I could think of and replaced any potential culprits if
I had spares.  During the race I still had the problem, and it got worse as
the race continued.  I finished the race, but was very disappointed with my
performance.

After I got home and sometime that fall while working on the car I found
that the ground strap from the battery was loose where it attached to the
body of the car.  The battery was located in the trunk and it was easier to
remove the battery with the ground cable in place.  When I reinstalled the
battery (in the early AM darkness) I had tightened the ground cable finger
tight, but forgot to go back and tighten it with a wrench.  After that
experience, every time I had an engine miss, the first thing I checked was
the ground cable on the battery.  A lesson learned the hard way!