fot

Re: The SP250 matter

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: The SP250 matter
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 07:19:08 -0700
John,
Since you bring this up (and I am on that page) the previously cited
book states:

"The fate of the SP250 was sealed as early as 1960 when Jaguar took over
the ailing Daimler concern to boost its production capacity.  Sit
William Lyons never liked the Dart, because the styling offended him,
but also because it would also have been seen as low-level competition
for the E-Type.  Jaguar made a half-hearted attempt to restyle the car,
but it was never really on and Lyons pulled the plug with no regrets in
1964.  He was bright enough to see the potential in the SP250's
excellent engine however, and since 1962 had been offering it in a
highly successful Daimlerized version of the Mk2 called the 2 1/2 litre
V-eight."

Joe

--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer