fot

The SP250 matter

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: The SP250 matter
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:56:01 -0000
This is all rather interesting - for me, anyway. Clearly, the SP250 isn't
everyone's cup
of tea on the appearance stakes - and this is where a curious set of
circumstances raises
it's head.
There is and has been a popular belief circulating in England for many years
(and probably
further afield) that Sir William Lyons (Jaguar founder) bought Daimler because
they were
about to launch a sports car using a 4.5litre V8 with many  similarities to the
250 - but
larger. Feedback I've had over the years suggests this larger car was not too
far removed
from the 250 in many aspects of its appearance.I suspect it was probably pretty
fast and
too close for comfort for Lyons with his soon to appear E type. For him, the
only solution
was to buy the company and kill the car so the E Type might live. About eight
years later,
he did a similar thing when Rover planned the Rover P6BS. While Lyons couldn't
buy out
British Leyland as his company was part of it, he did make it very clear to the
Main board
that if the P6BS went into production, he would recommend to his Board that
Jaguar  should
uncouple from BL - and quick. As Jaguar was very much the jewel in BL's
crown,the Rover
died pretty well overnight - and for good and Lyons was happy(er)
Jonmac