fot

Re: Cover of Victory Lane

To: JFrymark@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Cover of Victory Lane
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 12:59:07 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 JFrymark@AOL.COM wrote:

> Joe,
>
> There is a Karmann Ghia that runs at VARA events in GP1 (street legal). A old
> entry list names the driver as Gert Gehlhaar (Ms., I believe) of Lompoc, CA
> and an internet phone directory search finds a G. U. Gehlhaar in the same
> town at 805-735-1224. It seems any racing VW is always a crowd favorite.
>
> John Frymark  (VARA EP #67, except for Las Vegas much to my regret)

I know this is off the initial topic, but there could be a tie in. In
SCCA New England Region, there's a guy who runs a VW Beetle in _GT4_
class from time to time. The car is actually pretty reasonable lookin',
and ironically I've seen it twice while sitting in the stands at the
"bowl" that is called "turn 6"... the car seems to pull up the hill
pretty well.

Anyway, the vintage tie-in is that the car is painted in the sort of
greyish off-white color that was used for Herbie the "Love Bug", and has
sported the number "53" on both occasions that I saw it.

I'm not sure how many folks actually caught the tie-in, but I for one
could imagine the scene to be very amusing to have a shot of the car
during a enduro clipping the apex at turn 5 at Road America in the midst
of some other vintage iron...

Herbie Rides Again!

;-)

see ya,
rml

p.s. FWIW, I had several Beetles in the old days - I still have a couple
of "core engines" and misc. parts hanging around. I keep thinkin' I'll
get an FV or something, but if your relatives decide to build the car
Joe A., and you need some parts...
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |