fot

Con Rod Bolts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Con Rod Bolts
From: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 19:21:34 -0400
Amici'
I am starting my tenth week in a one week project to build a new
(ie,racier) motor for my TR-4.  The crank's been turned, the flywheel
lightened, pistons,clutch,et al balanced and a box full of paraphanalia
cleaned and painted.  The rewarding part is about to begin, I hope.

A couple of questions have been raised about which I would like to seek
sage wisdom...or whatever wisdom is available.

1.  What about connecting rod bolts?  Are harder ones better?  What about
locking tabs? Locktite? What's best system?
2. Has anyone had good luck with the rear oil seal conversion.  I know it's
a pretty strange concept think of a Triumph w/o the ability to establish
its own territory in the pits, but what's your experience?
3.  How about the windage tray in the pan?  Should I diddle with it whilst
I have it antiseptically pristine?
4.  What about the tappet bores?  Does anybody do anything about them to be
assured that the tappets can rotate or do whatever tappets are supposed to
do?
4.  And there are certainly a couple of other tricks I should take care of
while the engine is fully undressed.  Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Richard Taylor
Atlanta