Re: [Roadsters] intake/exhaust studs in R16 head

To: vociferouschicanery@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] intake/exhaust studs in R16 head
From: Steve Ehlers via Datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 18:10:16 -0500
Cc: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Steven ,

  I'm currently rebuilding and Restoring a 67 1/2 engine and trany in
the shop for a customer. I Only use Nissan available studs for All
Nissan/Datsun engines rebuilds for a reason ,one of which is they fit
the application and are Not all-threaded like aftermarket JUNK .They are
Metric on this engine (and yours if it is a true 67 1/2 head) and on
later Datsun products . The early 67 engine and earlier has SAe ... So
yours should be 8mm with 1.25 threads .There is 2 lengths .One is
currently available but the other is not under the Roadster parts number
.I have substituted another easily available Nissan stud for the NLA
item.  Please call the shop during the week and I will give you those
numbers .

   If your saying the Rocker stud hole is stripped ,That I believe is
10mm x 1.25 ( I can check the size at the shop also and verify pitch)
But I would Never Heli-coil this stressed fastener location .It needs to
be Time- Serted ,which I stock and use for All Datsun Head repairs if
needed (Including stripped manifold studs). It requires a special tool
kit to install and not practical for the single time use .Call an Air
cooled Independent Repair shop in your Area or a quality Automotive
machine shop that can do Air-cooled head repairs ,and surely they will
be able to install the correct repair for your head for you .You do not
tap holes bigger than stock for several reasons ,one of which is the
alignment issues with the rocker shaft stands ,but I won't go into the
complete "Datsun 101" on the subject . Unless it is one of the Valve
cover mounting studs ,it is the same size as the manifold studs .....
Call me next week for the straight skinny.
Steve Ehlers

Rising Sun Performance - 817-731-6092 , 10-5:30 CST

Hi everyone I'm not very good at finding this information, so I come to
you guys.? So, thank you in advance. What size are those studs?? I
believe the outside (not the side that threads into the head) is M8, but
I want to make sure.? I have no idea about the other side, the side in
the head.? The hole for one of mine as it goes into the head is
stripped, and I need to replace it.? I'm thinking of re-tapping the hole
one size bigger, if a new stud is available for that new size. Thanks
againS675MIZU (getting closer....)

---