Re: [Roadsters] 1500 Radiator Cap.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 1500 Radiator Cap.
From: "Graeme S. via Datsun-roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 10:33:14 +1030
--===============6154914619113831732==
 boundary="------------070001070603060800020605"

--------------070001070603060800020605

Been through this recently.
My cooling system and engine are all fully reconditioned and I have no
overheating problem, BUT, it was belching coolant just the same.
Now, bear in mind the early cars were designed for a low pressure
7psi[50kpa], non-recovery type system.
The cap is not easily converted to a high pressure13psi[90kpa], you have
to swap the neck of the radiator to get the new cap to work properly.
Low pressure cap uses a long neck, high pressure cap uses a short neck.
All the research I did showed that there is no long neck high pressure
cap :(
My Radiator Shop advised to retain the low pressure system because that
was what it is designed for: what the weak link is I know not!
Anyhoo, I decided to fit a blanking cap to the radiator and plumbed in a
pressurised aluminium recovery tank from the radiator overflow
connection, using a low pressure long neck recovery cap [7psi], on the tank.
Works a treat and if you didn't look between the front cross member and
the radiator core, you would never know :)
The system can burp all it wants but it is able to syphon it back in to
the radiator.
I posted some pics. on the 311s.org site, have a look here: -
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23012&hilit=recovery+tank
The final version is at the end of the posts.

Regards,
Graeme S.

nissanman.shutterfly.com

On 4/04/2015 09:07, Charles Hubbard via Datsun-roadsters wrote:
>  My 1964 SPL310 (1500)  has run hot since day one. It has a fairly
> pristine 3-row radiator core.  I live in the Dallas Texas, area, and
>  it gets pretty hot around here.  The stock idiot gauge steadily pegs
> on the highway at about 65 mph.  I put an after market gauge in which
> showed the temperature close to 290 deg.  Slowing down to 55 MPH
> brings the temperature down but it still runs at 275deg.  After
> running around town and turning the motor off, it often blows most of
> the coolant from the upper tank through the overflow tube.  It often
> vapor locks after it gets turned off.  I took my radiator to the local
> old school radiator guru today. He did a flow test and it was fine.
>  However, he noticed that my cap was pretty week.  He thinks my stock
> cap may only be a 3-4lb cap and suggested that I purchase a 12 lb cap.
>  .  He's thinking that that my roadster may be continuously be losing
> coolant when it gets pressurised and allows air into the system, which
> makes the car run even hotter.  A tighter cap would hold coolant
> better and help the cooling.  The temperature would stay lower, even
> under more pressure. The stock radiator caps are not exactly growing
> on trees, so getting a 12 lb cap to give it a try may not be
> obtainable.  The radiator shop says they can put a new cap assembly o
> the unit, but I hate doing that before I even know if it will solve my
> issue.  Does anyone know a source for a 12lb cap that will fit a 1500
> radiator?  Feedback from those in the know would be appreciated.
>
> .Charlie Hubbard
> Flower Mound, TX
> cehubbard@verizon.net

--------------070001070603060800020605

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Been through this recently.<br>
    My cooling system and engine are all fully reconditioned and I have
    no overheating problem, BUT, it was belching coolant just the same.<br>
    Now, bear in mind the early cars were designed for a low pressure
    7psi[50kpa], non-recovery type system.<br>
    The cap is not easily converted to a high pressure13psi[90kpa], you
    have to swap the neck of the radiator to get the new cap to work
    properly.<br>
    Low pressure cap uses a long neck, high pressure cap uses a short
    neck.<br>
    All the research I did showed that there is no long neck high
    pressure cap :(<br>
    My Radiator Shop advised to retain the low pressure system because
    that was what it is designed for: what the weak link is I know not!<br>
    Anyhoo, I decided to fit a blanking cap to the radiator and plumbed
    in a pressurised aluminium recovery tank from the radiator overflow
    connection, using a low pressure long neck recovery cap [7psi], on
    the tank.<br>
    Works a treat and if you didn't look between the front cross member
    and the radiator core, you would never know :)<br>
    The system can burp all it wants but it is able to syphon it back in
    to the radiator.<br>
    I posted some pics. on the 311s.org site, have a look here: -<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&amp;t=23012&amp;hilit=recovery+tank";>http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&amp;t=23012&amp;hilit=recovery+tank</a><br>
    The final version is at the end of the posts.<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Regards,
Graeme S.

nissanman.shutterfly.com</pre>
      Datsun-roadsters wrote:<br>
cite="mid:18589612.473558.1428100621579.JavaMail.root@vms170027.mailsrvcs.net"
      type="cite">
        12px">
[...]
          would be appreciated.</div>
            Hubbard</span></div>
            FONT-SIZE: 12px">Flower Mound, TX<br>
            <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:cehubbard@verizon.net";>cehubbard@verizon.net</a></div>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net";>datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/graemes@internode.on.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/graemes@internode.on.net</a>

</pre>