[Roadsters] Valve spring removal...head on motor

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Valve spring removal...head on motor
From: David and Varley Tweddle <davidandvarley@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:13:38 +0800
Hi

I have been lurking here a while.

It is quite easy to remove Valve spring retainer, Valve spring etc with head
on car.

I had to replace Valve guide seals and did this by the following
Remove rocker coverRotate crank to the start compression stroke (both valves
closed - piston near BDC)Remove spark plug from this cylinder (or all)Feed in
cord or rope abbout 1/4" diameter until cylinder fullRotate crank gently up to
near TDC (you won't get ther due to rope in cylinder)Tap Valve spring retainer
down to jar loose colletsI then used a lever hooked onto side of head to lever
down valve spring. Valve is heldd open by rope.Worked for me!!

I even did this on my Sunbeam Tiger which is very awkward to work on (compared
to my Datsun 2000).

Good luck!

Cheers
David