Re: [Roadsters] Death Rattle. From Scary to WEIRD!

To: "'Gordon Glasgow'" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Death Rattle. From Scary to WEIRD!
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:53:25 -0500
Thank you yet again Gordon,

On "tap" number 11 the engine began to spin. Bolt came off by hand after
that. Harmonic Balancer puller did the rest. As far as putting it back on, I
tapped lightly to get it into a position where the threads would catch. Then
I just used the bolt to get it worked into place. I loosened the bolt again
and a few more taps with the hammer on the back of the socket, just to make
sure it was seated.

Oh, 1-1/16 ", 6 point, deep socket worked well. 12 point wouldn't have
worked so well. I believe the "correct" size would have been either 1-1/32
", or 26mm. 1-1/16 " was a little loose.

This works. Scary as hell to do, but it works.

All is well with my Lil' Darlin' once again!

Matt

Gordon Wrote:

"I still cringe to think about this, but it works. First, disconnect the
points so the motor won't start. Put the breaker bar on the bolt in such a
way that the breaker-bar is over towards the driver's side of the engine
compartment, near the inner fender channel. Then fold up several layers of
cardboard and put them between the breaker bar and the channel. You can see
what's coming, can't you?

Now tap the starter. Don't crank it, just give it a tap. There will be a
loud "WHANG!" as the wrench hits the channel, and the engine will jump.
Check to see if the bolt is loose. If not, reset and do it again. Make sure
the socket hasn't jumped partly off the bolt head - you don't want the
wrench to suddenly get launched in a random direction. Usually a couple of
shots is enough to break the bolt loose."