Re: 68 Datsun Problems

To: chuckkyle@mac.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 68 Datsun Problems
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:43:07 EDT
In a message dated 7/11/2007 1:33:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
chuckkyle@mac.com writes:

The  car runs good for 45 minutes or so.  Then it begins to backfire.   This
backfire is toward the manifold or carbs not through the tailpipe. If I  am
going 45 mph and it begins to backfire, no matter how much or how little
throttle I give it it continues to backfire and rolls to about 5 MPH.  At  this
point it has NO power what so ever.  I can stop the car and wait 20  or 30
minutes, it will start and then go for a little while and do the exact  same
thing.
So here is what I have had done so  far:

Sounds like it might be starving for fuel. Possibly vapor lock. When it
starts to run badly turn off the key and remove one of the float bowl covers to

see if there is gas inside. Or, put a "T" in the fuel line and a pressure
gauge.  You should have about 3 psi. Sometimes if the fuel volume capacity is
low
it  will starve when the thermal valve on the rear carb opens up from the heat.
Try  pinching the return line from the valve to the firewall closed. If a
fuel line  is partially clogged or you have a small air leak on the suction
side
of the  pump you can have good static pressure but not enough volume. Let us
know what  you find.

keith