RE: Porsche 914 2.0

To: "'Daryl Smith'" <drlsmith@dccnet.com>, "'Datsun Roadster List'"
Subject: RE: Porsche 914 2.0
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:09:40 -0700
Daryl,

Depends on the year; '73 & '74 the most desirable. '75 & '76 lost power due
to emissions control plus they have the love 'em or hate 'em 5mph bumpers.

How's the interior?

Early models ('70-'72) had tailshifter tranny; less than ideal for speed
shifting. You definitely want to drive it before you buy it.

The worst thing about 914's are rust, rust, and rust. Definitely check the
rocker panels. Only one small hole in the battery tray is amazing. Speaking
of the battery tray, common for those to have serious corrosion problems
from battery acid leakage. What's worse is that the fuel pump was directly
below on '70-'74 models, which caused a number of fires. Fuel pump relocated
to front trunk in '75, and a common retrofit on the older models -- or just
use an Optima. <g>

Teeners are already hugging the ground, so not sure how it was lowered.

Here's a good buyer's guide:

<http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm>

Parts availability similar to roadsters. I'd recommend poking around
Pelican's website to get a feel for parts, parts prices, tech articles, etc.
They're an excellent source of info.

What's it worth? Kinda like asking what's a roadster worth. <g> Check out
eBay, and the classifieds on craigslist, Pelican Parts, and:

914club <http://www.914club.com/>
rennlist <http://www.rennlist.com/>

There's the 914 Yahoo Group:

I equate a 914 to a 4-wheel motorcycle. Lightweight, close to the ground,
near-perfect front/rear weight distribution, you can seriously pull some G's
in the corners. My understanding is that they're still quite competitive in
auto-X. 914-6's blew 911's off the track, but victory on the track did not
equate to sales.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Cheers,

                    `  ___  '
Pete               -  (O o)  -
Lake Forest Park, WA