Re: 4-speed reverse idler shaft

To: <RacerY@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: 4-speed reverse idler shaft
From: "Mike H." <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:51:36 -0600
Hi Toby,
Thanks for your quick reply. My confusion comes from the fact that when it
was rebuilt about 20 years ago, the two washers were replaced differently
from each other. When my reverse gear started chattering, I pulled it out
and tore it down, the cause was the rear snap ring on the reverse idler
shaft had slipped off and was laying on the bottom of the extension housing.

Excessive movement of the shaft and the reverse idler gear caused some
broken teeth and considerable wear on the thrust washers. I got new gears
and washers. In trying to understand the function of bi-metal washers I was
ready to assume that the brass (soft) side should contact the aluminum
(soft) housing and the steel (hard) sides would contact the gears. It would
seem to me that a soft metal rubbing against a hard one would be less
durable and wear faster. That's why the question.
I respect your opinion, if I don't hear from others, I'll try it your way.
Thanks again,
Mike Hudson  '67 - 1600