Re: WAS Timing - 68 2000 Solex

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WAS Timing - 68 2000 Solex
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:32:13 -0600
Took the roadster in early yesterday.  Early enough that I had to run the
headlights.   I turned them on and WOW!  I had a lot more power and less
popping and farting.  Mechanic could only think that I may have the ballast
resistor hooked up wrong.  I is apparently supposed to reduce the ~14 volts
down to about 9 so that  the points don't burn out.  The various electrical
diagrams don't make sense to me.  It looks like the ballast resistor should
be on the black wire going to the distributor to effectively reduce the
voltage.  How does it help to attach it to the positive coil post?  Are they
linked?  Larry.