Vintage tires

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vintage tires
From: "roadster katman" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:15:26 -0700
Does anyone in the SF Bay Area want a 60's-era roadster tire? I'm
thinking of tossing it out unless someone wants it. It's a Toyo 5.60/14
whitewall on a roadster rim, looks pretty good and still has tread.

Incidentally, here's how I pulled some old tires off rims (had some time
to kill and some tires to toss out). Cut some old 2x4's to create a box,
15-1/2 inches width on the inside, about 19 inches outside width. Cut
45-degree braces for the inside corners, keeping at least 15-1/2 inches
width between diagonal distance brace to brace. Slapped some fence board
planks on the top of the box, and drilled four 1-1/2 inch diameter holes
in order to spot clearance of the wheel rim. Took about a half hour to
make (air-nail guns are fun).

Backed my truck up over a sidewalk, placed an old roadster wheel flat on
the ground up against the curb, and placed the box over the old tire,
spotting the rim through the holes in the box to make sure the rim
cleared the 2x4 inner edges. Then I gently drove my truck off the
sidewalk so the truck wheel went square over the box. Pop! Backed my
truck up the sidewalk again, flipped the old roadster wheel, repeated
the process to pop the other bead of the tire from the old rim. Then
it's an easy process to use a crowbar and prybar to pull the old tire
off the rim. Anyway, I had fun doing it.

Fred - SSF, CA