comment and question

To: datsun list datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: comment and question
From: Gary Tew <garytew@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:57:55 -0700
I see parts come up for sale that have been chromed but not restored.  I
suffered this on some of my first parts I had done too.   I've learned
the hard way that a lot of chrome shops will chrome whatever you bring
in without spending a lot of time getting the part to a restorable
level.  I would figure that they know you want a like new part to come
out of their shop but it's not the case many times.  To save some
heart(head)ache and $$$, try to use good candidates and do as much prep
as you can first.  If you can bring a clean, smooth, stripped and
straightened piece in for chroming, you will have success.  Heavily
pitted, rusted and dented pieces will require a ton of man hours and
added expense assuming the part is even salvageable.  Finally, be very
specific with the plater on what you expect so there are no surprises
when you pick up the part.

Now my ??  I've been thinking about a 3rd brakelight for my project.  I
like the high mounted ones on the rollbar, assuming the top is down.  My
idea is to take a bumper mounted license plate lamp from an early car
and turn it around and mount it just behind where the top fastens to the
body in the center.  I would have to figure out a light source but think
it might look ok.  I hate to open myself up for opinions, being the
non-purist and all, but send 'em if you got 'em.  Any ideas/thoughts and
pics are always welcome.

Gary Tew
Phoenix
early '67 1600