RE: OT-Miata MX5 Auto tranny

To: "'Matt Jacquet'" <matt@vander-bend.com>,
Subject: RE: OT-Miata MX5 Auto tranny
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:11:46 -0700
Matt,

Should be in the Owner's Manual. Found this from April 2006 on the Miata
list:

Just drained and refilled my 2000 Automatic Trans. I do not have the factory
shop manual, but attempting to follow the directions in the Miata 1.8
Enthusiasts Shop Manual, I ran into a couple of differences.

The dip stick tube is attached to the side of the oil pan and bolted in two
places to the engine, making it difficult to drop the pan as described in
the manual.

There is a drain plug at the rear of the pan. I pulled the drain plug and
got two quarts out of the trans. oil pan.

The owners manual says that the total capacity is 7.1 Qts. and the
enthusiast shop manual says that you should get four quarts dropping the pan
to drain. I checked the level before draining and it was at normal level.

Is this the proper way to drain the Auto. trans. for this year Miata? Thanks
for you help.

I will say every auto trans I've had required the car/fluid to be warmed up,
then cycle through all the gears before returning to PARK to check the oil
level.

Cheers.

                    `  ___  '
Pete               -  (O o)  -