Thanks to all for wiring help

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks to all for wiring help
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:25:46 -0700
Thanks to all who pitched in with my wiring woes. (Paul Bauman, Pat
Horne, Stephen Wan, Paul Gabriel, and the list goes on)
I have pasted them all onto a sheet and will be going thru it one by one
in the upcoming week.  For now, I found that at the harness split point
near the left headlite, where the right headlite/blinker wires split
off, had a small wiring fire in the left branching wires at one point,
that had been taped over but everything had since worn/aged/etc.  The
wire insulation just flaked off with a rub of the thumbnail and the
plastic plug covers were fused onto the plugs.
So, with a few suggestions from a neighbor who wandered into the garage,
and does boat/chopper wiring, I have
amputated/soldered/re-sealed/jumpered/re-taped various connections, with
good results (although no cure yet).  I would have loved to remove the
hood for better access, but haven't figured a good way to do that
single-handed without significant risk....
(insert chorus of "Fergus, we seen your paint, it ain't that much
risk!")
More info to come as the investigation continues.  I will say that the
wiring pro, when he saw the brass twin-bullet-gripping-wire-end
connections, told me to salvage them whenever possible, as you won't
find that quality available anymore.
Thanks for everyone's help.  If ya see someone using hand signals in
place of front blinkers, no need to ask, that's me for the moment.
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB,CA