Cost of Volvo swap (was Wilwood big brake kit!)

To: "Marc&Heidi" <mtyler@hctc.net>, "RWM" <RWM@rwmann.com>
Subject: Cost of Volvo swap (was Wilwood big brake kit!)
From: "Mark \(Stickeman\) Dent" <mark@dealermats.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:10:47 -0400
This was debated on 311s last week.  This is what I came up with

Ok I checked on this really quick. Since the Volvo swap really only swaps
the calipers, I did not use the cost of Rotors or brake pads, since they are
needed on both, I did however use the machining of the rotors needed on the
conversion. These prices were verified Today. Shipping not figured in on
either to make it fair.

I can call Baystate Nissan and order 4 correct Nissan calipers for $258,
they are readily available.

For the Volvo swap I looked online at Parts America dot com and used front
1975 Volvo 240, unloaded calipers (no brake pads)

Volvo Calipers $54 x 2 = $108
Adapter plates per 311s.org = $40
Machining per 311s.org = $30

Total $178 at best, not counting brake lines if needed to be modified.

At best an $80 savings, there is a core charge of $15 on the calipers so add
$30 if you don't have extras, and if you have a low windshield the M/C needs
to upgraded for the volvo swap, not for the stock setup so there goes the
savings.

At best $50 savings with more time (the rotors need to be taken to the
machine shop, etc.) or you can bolt on the factory correct parts in about an
hour.

The original ones have lasted 40 years so far, that is good enough for me
If you bolt on the correct parts and flush the system every 2 years, you are
good for a long, long time.