RE: Question about Speedo

To: "Chas Willis" <fairlady@putermail.net>
Subject: RE: Question about Speedo
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 13:52:34 -0700
> ...I assume that the [speedo drive] gear is shot... I haven't a clue how
> to remove and replace the gear.

I assume we're talking about the entire drive assembly that fits into
the tranny case.

I'm also assuming this is a 2L without the 90 degree right-angle adapter
(otherwise, it could be that the adapter has failed. The adapter
simply screws on - albeit tightly - to the drive gear assembly. Anyone
removing this adapter, be aware that there's a short drive pin that is
not attached and can fall out / get lost!)

The speedo drive looks like a chunky metal 'tube' with a nylon gear
sticking out the 'inside' end. This assembly is held in place by a bolt
and locking tab, and there's an O-ring around the body to keep the oil
where it belongs. The friction of that seal prevents the unit from easily
sliding out.

You need to unscrew the bolt and locking tab (a small metal plate,
about a sixteenth of an inch thick). Then the tube pulls straight out.
If you have maneuvering room, try using a large flat blade screwdriver,
engage the tip in the groove where the locking plate fits, use something
small and hard between the screwdriver shaft and the case as a lever
point (think teeter-totter here), and carefully pry the assembly out.

-- John