Re: Backup Lights & Exhaust Setup?

To: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Subject: Re: Backup Lights & Exhaust Setup?
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 12:52:16 -0700
> We're getting to the final stages getting the roadster back on the road.
> Seems I'm going to need a new backup light switch. Question is, which
> wire in the harness is the feed/input wire for the switch and where does
> it usually come out of the harness?

In the main bundle of wires passing thru the firewall right near the
master cylinders, there is a pair of wires that are for the reverse
switch. They terminate in bullet connectors right near the firewall.
There is then an additional 'pigtail' that installs between this
connection point, and the switch itself on the tranny.

There are two different tranny switches. One has flat spade
connectors, and the other has short pigtails terminating in
bullet connectors.

I've heard that some are normally-closed, but that makes little sense
to me as it would require a back up light relay. I suspect this may
be a NC switch on a '70 tranny, to operate the smog solenoid???
Don't have a wiring diagram or shop manual in front of me...

-- John