Backup Lights & Exhaust Setup?

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Backup Lights & Exhaust Setup?
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 21:47:22 -0500
We're getting to the final stages getting the roadster back on the road.
Seems I'm going to need a new backup light switch. Question is, which wire
in the harness is the feed/input wire for the switch and where does it
usually come out of the harness? On 510s a long pigtail, containing the
wires for the backup light switch and the third gear (timing retard) switch,
splits off from the main harness near the brake M/C.

Worst case, I see no reason I couldn't feed 12 volts to the switch from a
point switched through the ignition (maybe to a relay depending on current
load) and run a new wire to the backup lights. I'm guessing the lights are
grounded via their cases?

Next question - How large an exhaust pipe can easily fit through the OEM
holes in the frame? The car has headers and we have a new flex pipe header
reducer so I'm thinking we should be able to use pipe just slightly smaller
than the holes and fairly rigidly mounted to keep it from banging into the
sides of the holes?

It looks like there's an OEM style muffler under the driver's seat and a
glass pack behind the rear axle. I'm thinking a single turbo style behind
the axle. I did this on our first 510 in the early '70s and even had a
flange just in front of the muffler so I could swap it for a straight pipe
for track work. That probably didn't have any real effect on power, but it
sounded cool and sure turned heads when I'd idle back through the Hickam
auto hobby shop on my way to the track.

Ideas/suggestions on both questions appreciated,
Ron