RE: Frozen Rear Brake

To: "Dana & Joni Holgate" <djholgate@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Frozen Rear Brake
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 19:05:10 -0700
You probably need to remove your brake adjusters to clean them up and
lubricate them with anti-sieze before you put them back on the backing
plates.  I have a tech page showing you what is involved.  Not much to do,
but at least you can see what you are getting into.

http://www.datsun2000.com/tech/brake_adjuster/restoring_brake_adjusters.htm

I am not sure what will happen, but if you remove the adjuster mounting
bolts you might be able to pull the drum off at the same time the top side
of the shoes come out with the adjuster still between the shoes.  The shoes
are rotated into position with the springs already attached and may come
apart if the unattached adjuster allows the shoes to rotate as you pull the
drum off.

The pads on the backing plates should be lubricated before you put the brake
shoes back on the car.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland