Re: Has anyone done a SR 2.0 DET in an early roadster?

To: BARTERDUDE@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Has anyone done a SR 2.0 DET in an early roadster?
From: michaelspreadbury@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 00:06:31 +0000
Gary,

A 1500 is probably not the best of donor cars for an engine swap conversion.
The brakes, positive ground wiring system, instruments, narrow fendersand
accompanying small wheels and tires, and small differential are all things that
are going to go against you, especially when going with a turbo engine
conversion.

That being said, I am working on a SR20DE conversion into my wifes 64 1500.
There wont be much 1500 under the sheet metal when it is done, as the running
gear will all be 1600 roadster stuff, and even then, the brakes will be
upgraded.

But, from the exterior and interior, the car is going to look as stock as
possible. One of the big problem areas for this is the length of the
transmission. As you probably know, the 1500 transmission is 3 shorter than a
standard 1600 transmission. A 5-speed SR20DE(T) gearbox is the same length as a
1600 gearbox, so if you want the shifter to come out the correct spot on your
1500, you are going to have to get creative.

What I have worked out is I can use a the 5-speed gearbox from a D21 Nissan
Hardbody pickup with the KA24E engine. This transmission is 3 shorter than the
standard SR gearbox, and the shifter will come through the stock 1500 shift
hole perfectly.

To make a KA box to a SR engine you have to change the bellhousings-- a simple
task. The D21 Hardbody gearbox has the exact same ratios as the non-turbo SR
gearbox and has the outlet for a mechanical speed sensor. The gearbox is not
without its issues though, it is hardly known as a strong box, even on the
stock pickup, and while I think it will last just fine in my wifes car, I am
not sure how it would handle the additional horsepower and torque of a
turbocharged SR!

As for websites, check out www.311s.org and read the engine swap articles under
the engine section. Travis Rowe wrote up his conversion, and website manager
Steve Allen is working on a SR swap into his roadster as well. If you go to the
engine section of the forums, you will find countless threads regarding many
issues that fabricators run into when converting these cars to a modern engine.

Hope this helps,

Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
1964 Datsun 1500 roadster (S13 SR20DE swap)
1966 Datsun 1600 roadster (S15 SR20DE swap)
1969 Datsun 2000 roadster (S14 SR20DE swap)