Tranny gear selection problems

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny gear selection problems
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:55:44 -0800
I was up on thanksgiving helping a fellow roadster roadster owner (Datsundude
on 311s.org) tune his timing and carbs. He dropped in a 3 main motor and a
tranny which he replaced some seals on.  We found that the car will jump upon
starting while in neutral.  Not violently, just like an automatic tranny
idling in gear.  He bled the clutch and the clutch does disengage when
depressed as the car does not jump when the clutch is in.  He also found that
the shifter wil not go into 3rd, 4th, or reverse.  I'm not sure that it did
this when the tranny was out of the car.
Anyone experience this or have any suggestion what to check before he pulls
the motor and tranny to crack the bellhousing again?
You can respond directly to him here:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=email&u=309

      .
        Steve