Re: engine hooks

To: Shaun <toolmansj@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: engine hooks
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:22:03 -0800 (PST)
> Does any know where I can get some u20 engine hooks?
> Or what bolts do you hook the chain to.

Dan Garrison (boy I hope I got that right) provided me with a
missing U20 lift hook a couple of years back.

But... I found it harder to pull the engine when I used it...

In the past, I'd wrap a hefty chain around the rear, slipping it
between the engine and tranny, then using a couple of grade 8 bolts
to tie it to itself and using this 'sling' as the rear lift point.
(NOTE: I remove the dizzy oil tube to prevent damage!

When I used the stock rear lift point, as I tilted the engine (I
use a load leveler, which makes a big difference sliding the longer
5 speed into place), because the hook is offset, shifting the weight
caused the engine to rotate. Getting it lined up and dropped onto
the mount points was near impossible, and I had to use a floor jack
underneath to help level things out.

YMMV, of course!

-- John