Re: POR-15 problems

To: <stebharvey@ameritech.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: POR-15 problems
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:39:50 +0000
Humm...

I've used DP over 1790 etch prime, and it works just fine.  There's a sealer
that you can use over unknown base coats- and I've used DP diluted as a sealer,
also with moderate success... the secret seems to be to seal the filler and
primer/filler after it's sanded.  Which increases orange peel, but reduces
'bleed' from the base substances.  It's all a trade- off.

Mixing systems (PPG and POR) is always a crapshoot- if you know what you're
doing, you can often get away with it.  But if you're wrong, you end up with a
sticky mess.  My take would be to go with PPG all the way- maybe not the best
in the universe, but very good, and guaranteed to be compatible with itself!

As to how to deal with the POR- I think I'd sand it off.  I know it's not good,
but a metal- adhesion layer problem will kill the whole paint job quicker than
you can say "GM water based topcoat".

hth,
Toby