Re: Stroker

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Stroker
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:06:30 -0800
Slowboy,
For what it's worth.....

I was looking at building a 2L stroker with the H20 crank and R16 rods
(lighter and strong enough). The problem is what pistons to use. The stock
pistons have too tall a pin height. I think Stan mentioned a piston from a
Nissan V6 would work, but haven't figured out which one yet, and I built an
1800cc engine instead, so haven't bothered looking. Stan might be able to
point you in the right direction.

If you might look into this, a piston with a bore size (to fit your block)
between 3.433-3.493", with a pin diameter of 0.866, and a pin height of
~33mm (1.3011"). The pin height is somewhat flexible, within limits. If
slightly taller, but not more than ~.010" above the deck, you may be able to
use it if the compression isn't excessive. Less pin height will lower your
compression. You can also (within limits) mill the piston tops (piston too
tall) or the engine block (piston too short) to get the right combo. This is
where advise from a GOOD engine builder / machinist comes in handy (someone
with experience with these engines is best).

My research (reading) leads me to believe the following benefits of this
setup:
1. A lighter rotating/reciprocating assembly for quicker acceleration.
2. A higher rod ratio (1.84:1 vs 1.74:1). I understand this will lessen wear
on the cylinder walls somewhat from sideloading, and possibly make a
smoother running engine. there is much debate on the rod ratio benefits (or
lack thereof), so it's hard to get concrete answers without actually
building/comparing otherwise identical engines side by side.
3. IF you find an OEM piston that will work, it will likely be cheaper than
the stock pistons.(although if you have to modify them, $$)

It may end up that the "benefits" aren't noticable in a similarly built
engine with the stock H20 parts ( I would use the lighter of the stock parts
that fit), but it was an interesting part swapping excercise. I would love
to see one of these engines built, just to satisfy my own curiosity. :-)

Daryl
'66 with a lot of part swapping goin' on.