Re: How do I set up Hitachi "SU" carb?

To: Pat Leask <pleask@shaw.ca>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How do I set up Hitachi "SU" carb?
From: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
Pat,

A great place to start (if you don't have any experience) that I've found is
the Hitachi-SU Tech Pages.  http://www.jetlink.net/~okayfine/sutech.html or
www.ztyherapy.com.  Both of these have great suggestions to tuning Hitachi/SU
carbs - ztherapy even produces a very extensive video on tuning SU's.  I
received the video when I purchase rebuilt carbs for my '69 2000.

Good luck,
Perry Smith
St. Louis, MO
'68 2000

Pat Leask <pleask@shaw.ca> wrote:
Hi All

I hope you don't mind me posting to the Datsun group as I do not have one,
but I need your collective wisdom as I understand that Datsuns can or do run
with the Hitachi "SU" carbs.

I have a 1972 Mini 1000 that I just bolted on a new Hitachi "SU" carb (1
1/4" I think it is, or may be 1 1/2" I forget) that looks very similar to
the true English SU car. The problem is the car will NOT start! (Was running
before with a thrashed English SU carb). I have no idea how to adjust this
Hitachi carb, nor do I have any idea why the car is not starting, I can only
assume it is a fuel delivery problem or mix. I was hoping the car would at
least start and run badly but enough to get me to my buddies house to tune
it... silly me for hopeing that hu!

There is fuel getting to the bowl and I'm going to check to night to ensure
the fuel is getting from the bowl to the jet. But, failing this could anyone
please tell me how to adjust this carb for mixture and any other settings
that are needed?

If you could reply to me directly at pleask@shaw.ca I'd really appreciate
it.

Many thanks, Pat