Re: Ortega Hwy Run Report

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ortega Hwy Run Report
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:10:42 -0700
It was a great run that Victor would have loved.
Unfortunately only 3 cars showed up including myself. 1 roadster and two
Lancer Evo's
No volvo's, mini coopers, or sentra spec V's showed up. We left Denny's around
9:30, which by the way has very limited parking.
Ortega was crowded and we drove a leasurely pace up to Hell's kitchen.  We saw
4 cars being pulled over while checking out the upscale eating establishment.
There were reports that there were 4 cops patrolling the highway that morning.
As we continued down the hill, there was a bit of traffic, but each one took a
turnout, one after another. When the last car took the turnout, we railed
around the 25mph circle and blasted up to 70 hanging whitenuckle turns in 4th
gear down to Lake Elsinore. Even with the gumball tires, taking high speed
curves down a hill in 4th gear in a 35 year old car is hair raising.  Needless
to say I backed off as the Evo's pulled away.
Then we proceeded to drive over into Wildomar and up Clinton Keith Road.
That's where the real fun began.
The roads are tight with dips and crests, many of which are blind. Many crests
rise up and over and drops you immediately into a curve. Some twisted down
some pretty steep grades that I wouldn't trust my stock roadster brakes on
without my engine taking half the braking. The Evo's weren't pushing as hard
as they could have and found myself able to keep up. At least into the turns.
I entered turns at the same speed, but they out accelerated me out of the apex
and pulled away. The speeds were kept to around 60 in the straights, but the
speeds slowed down to 35 during the tight curves. There were even a few 15mph
hairpins thrown in, one which was sandy and pitched the rear out.
The road is insane, and I will definitely make the next run there once I make
a video camera mount.
I took the stock air filter out and put the K&N's in with the richer needles
for the run and can definitely feel the difference in power.
The stock filter didn't get better gas mileage, so the K&N's stay on.

I posted few pics here (where I could take 1 hand off the wheel):
http://community.webshots.com/...znARX

Steve
70' 1600

logo.jpg]