Re: OT: 71 Datsun 240's Hopped Up and Racing

To: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>,
Subject: Re: OT: 71 Datsun 240's Hopped Up and Racing
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:09:07 -0500
> Tried sending this from another site but it does not get thru.  Saw a
> program on tv last night where two sets of mechanics worked on separate 71
> 240's and changed the cam, exhaust etc.  I believe the tv show owned the
> cars and the mechanics worked to earn the right to win one or both.  One
> even changed the intake manifold.  REmoved the side draft carbs and
> installed a Holley 4 barrel.  Did all this w/ the engine in the car.  Both
> 240's had a straight 6 cylinder.  Each team then raced for the other team's
> car.  Kind of like that "PINKS" show.  Interesting show but I still think
> they are idiots for racing for each others car.  Larry.

Larry,

Mercifully, I've forgotten the name of that show. When it first aired, on
the History Channel about a year ago, IIRC, it was discussed on the 510 and
TAMU Z-Car lists as well as this one.

IMO, it was a joke. The things they did to the cars and how they did them
violated pretty much everything I've read or learned about how to make any
car perform better, and the "teams" they had working on the cars seemed to
be less than clueless.

If my comments seem harsh it bugs me when this sort of thing gets aired. I
think it gives a highly inaccurate impression of auto hobbyists. Also as a
person who does A/V production for a living I thought the production quality
was terrible.

Now..., if you want I'll tell you how I really feel!  ;>)

FWIW,
Ron