distributor question....

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: distributor question....
From: alp <akarcioglu@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:55:22 -0700
  I have a neighbour who is trying to help a Roadster owner tune his car for our
local air care program (Vancouver BC).  He is getting frustrated dealing with
how Datsun sets up the timing of the Roadster.  Locally we have difficulty
passing air care tests without resorting to cats or other methods to cheat the
test.  The neighbour wonders why no one has addressed (unless they have and we
don't know about it) the problem with the original design of this car's ignition
system (as he sees it).  He cannot understand why Datsun designed the ignition
system to have a initial timing of only 20 degrees and a distributor that can
only advance a total of 15 degrees.  He has never seen a car that has such a
high inital degree setting. Usually cars are developed with an inital setting
closer to 10-15 degrees then a full advance of dizzy advance of another 25
degrees.  He has tried to recurve the dizzy to allow for near 25 degrees of
timing and then set the intial at closer to 10 degrees.  He wanted to know:
 1) at what RPM is the distributor at full advance?
 2) has a distributor be developed to do this yet?
 3)if not why not? why rebuild dizzies to original Datsun specs (that he deems
wrong)? thanks Alp