Re: An Observation

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: An Observation
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:44:40 -0500
> Driving to Lime Rock I noticed that the vehicles traveling the fastest were
> the largest, with a Hummer passing me by like I was standing still, and I was
> over the speed limit.
>
> The small, fuel efficient vehicles, like my Miata, were driving the slowest.
>
> I guess that could be an insight into many of those who buy those gas guzzling
> pigs, not because they have to but want to. Those who 'need' those vehicles
> seem to drive slower, like commercial vehicles.
>
> I also managed to get the best MPG ever for my Miata as I kept it under 70 for
> the most part with occasional outbursts to 80 - 33MPG

Just got back from a weekend in the Texas Hill Country, about an hour NW of
San Antonio. We almost decided against going, what with the outrageous
increases in gas prices (more on that in a mo), but the main purpose of the
trip was to finish some projects at my mother-in-law's, so we took the '95
Odyssey (175K on the clock) rather than the new Accord because we took power
tools and a 2 x 8 chunk of 3/4 ply in addition to a small compressor and a
floor jack! On the trip back we didn't have the wood but added a 12 x 12 EZ
UP pop up canopy and a large Workmate.

Even though the van is older it's been well maintained and normally we get
right around 23 mpg on the highway cruising between 70 and 75, sometimes a
bit more. We decided to see if driving slower would make a significant
difference in mileage so after we filled up just west of Fredericksburg I
used the cruise control to keep the speed right at 63 to 64 mph. Stayed on
cruise except when going through a few town, then filled up at the Wal-Mart
on the east side of Lampasas, 86.2 miles later. It took 2.78 gallons to
bring the gas to the same point near the top of the filler in both cases.
Winds were negligible as best as I could tell. Needless to say we were more
than a bit surprised.

The whole trip is roughly 180 miles, one way, and of course everyone and
their Aunt Ethel passed us, usually at a much higher speed and in something
large and V-8 powered. Of course tomorrow we hit the road for our 4.8 mile
commute which is both terrible from a gas mileage stand point and doesn't do
the car a lot of good either. If I was so large AND out of shape I'd
seriously consider a bicycle.

Marc, I'm sure you're feeling pretty good about getting the Echo right about
now. ;>)

FWIW,
Ron