oil stickitivity.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil stickitivity.
From: racery@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:55:23 +0000
I always try to prelube a motor, too- on a roadster, it's not too difficult.
Otherwise, pulling the plugs  and cranking, (after squitring oil down the
bores, and on the cam, if you can)

BUT- I've taken motors apart after they've been sitting for 20 years, and it's
amazing how much oil is still in the bearings.   Oil likes the tight bearing
clearances, and surface tension keeps it from running out of the tight gaps.
Also, intelligently designed caps keep a small pool in the bottom of the
bearing, ready to go when the engine's turned.

The big exception is the cam- and it's always working hard, even at a cranking
speed.  If you can get at it (U20) grease it with molybdenum grease.   On an R,
squirting a bunch of oil down the  pushrod tube holes can't hurt...

Toby